In the restaurant industry, there's no shortage of risks your employees face on a regular basis. Bars, caterers, and other food service professionals often have to balance the responsibilities of preparing food in a safe manner with the need to assist customers as quickly as possible. An employee can easily become injured while working with a hot surface, handling knives and other sharp utensils, or even while walking on a freshly mopped floor. AmVenture Insurance Agency, Inc. can help restaurant owners find a workers' comp policy and coverage limits to help safeguard your business against the high costs that can be associated with workplace accidents and injuries.
Because of the quick pace of business in restaurants, employees are all-too-often subject to split-second accidents. Even if you've implemented strong safety protocols, it's not always possible to prevent a mistake from happening. If one of your workers becomes injured at your restaurant, workers' compensation can help cover his or her medical expenses. In most cases, workers' compensation will also compensate the injured employee a portion or his or her regular income during the recovery process.
Carrying this type of insurance policy can even help you avoid lengthy litigation should an employee become hurt or sick on the job. The combined benefits that workers' compensation offers to restaurant owners are invaluable, not to mention that most states require all businesses with employees to carry some form of workers' comp.
What Does Workers' Compensation for Restaurants Cover?
The way you run your restaurant is unique, and your workers' compensation insurance plan should precisely reflect your risks and exposures. There are a few basic things workers' compensation tends to help cover, including workplace accidents, injuries, and illnesses. For example, workers' comp could help cover costs related to the following scenarios:
- When an employee becomes ill after being exposed to improperly cooked food.
- When an employee has an allergic reaction to an ingredient you use.
- When an employee experiences a grease burn while cooking.
- When a server suffers from shoulder strain while transporting food or heavy objects.
Does Workers' Compensation Cover Auto Accidents?
If your restaurant caters or offers a food delivery service, the potential for your employees to suffer an accident is magnified. In most states, workers' compensation can cover the majority of accidents or injuries that are suffered from a job-related activity, regardless of if the incident occurs at the workplace or not. Keep in mind, however, that the coverage may only apply to employees who are traveling within your state, and you may still be required to carry a separate commercial auto policy for any vehicles owned, borrowed, or leased for work-related activities.
What Additional Insurance Coverage Should I Consider for My Restaurant?
In addition to workers' compensation, here are three common types of insurance coverage for restaurants that can help keep your business and employees protected:
- Commercial auto insurance: If you offer delivery or catering service, you should insure your delivery drivers and vehicles. The type of commercial auto insurance that's right for your business will depend on how you run your business. For example, you may only need supplemental coverage if your drivers use their own vehicles. If you're the owner of your delivery vehicles, you may need more comprehensive commercial auto insurance.
- General liability insurance: If a customer suffers an accident, illness, or injury while visiting your restaurant, workers' compensation won't cover their medical expenses. To buffer yourself against the financial risk of a lawsuit, consider general liability insurance.
- Businessowners policy: A businessowners policy (BOP) combines the benefits of general liability and commercial property insurance, which can be a cost-effective way to protect your owned restaurant from damage and liability stemming from fire, theft, vandalism, and more.
How Can I Purchase Restaurant Workers' Compensation Insurance?
Ready to protect your restaurant with workers' compensation insurance? AmVenture aims to enable restaurant owners to develop an effective risk management plan. We focus on bespoke insurance solutions for small businesses that could help protect your business and while saving money. Call today, or fill out the brief form for a free quote.