In the "Ocean State," small business owners must strive to keep their assets protected, from your property to your inventory to your employees. Under state law, most business owners are required to carry workers' compensation and state disability insurance, although certain exclusions may apply.
Each small business must consider a range of factors to determine the optimal coverage for their industry, location, and risks. For that reason, many business owners in Rhode Island will opt to have additional small business insurance coverages Learn more about some of the most common policies available for your business, and let AmVenture help you secure an insurance package to help protect your small business
Workers' Compensation for Small Businesses in Rhode Island
Workers' compensation insurance serves as a safety net for both business owners and their employees. The policy can cover medical expenses for employees who become injured at the workplace. Combined with state disability insurance, the policy may also reimburse an injured employee for partial lost wages. And, in most instances, workers' comp can buffer your small business against the financial burden of a claim or lawsuit stemming from an employee's work-related accident, illness, or injury.
Here are a few examples of situations that may be covered by your workers' comp insurance policy:
- An employee suffers back strain after carrying several heavy boxes to and from your warehouse
- An employee becomes seriously ill after being exposed to a toxic chemical at the workplace
- An employee slips, falls, and injures themselves
Other Small Business Insurance Options for Small Businesses in Rhode Island
Regardless of your business's size, industry, or location within the state, you may want to secure the following additional coverages to help keep your business protected:
• Businessowners Policy (BOP): This type of insurance bundles multiple lines of insurance in way that can keep costs contained and provide small businesses with commonly-requested coverages. A BOP can protect your property, including your building, equipment, inventory, furniture, and other assets, and it can also provide liability coverage if your small business is sued because of property damage, bodily injury, advertising injury, and more. If you have to put your business' operations on hold to deal with a disaster, a BOP policy may also provide you with business interruption coverage to help you recover.
• Cyber Liability Insurance: Conducting business or storing information online can put any business today at risk of cyber piracy and data breaches. A cyber liability policy can help shield you from the costs associated with a breach, including the cost of litigation stemming from a cyber attack.
• Commercial Auto Insurance: If you use vehicles for commercial purposes in the state of Rhode Island, you should carry commercial auto insurance. This type of coverage protects you, your property, and your employees in the event of an accident in a company vehicle. Benefits may include property damage, liability claims, and medical expenses.
Learn More About Small Business Insurance in Rhode Island
AmVenture is a small business insurance producer that understands the risks for business owners in the state of Rhode Island. To learn more about our bespoke insurance solutions for Rhode Island's small businesses and get an insurance quote, fill out our brief form or reach out directly today.